Saint Bernard Dog Breed Information & Characteristics



my dog bit me will i get rabies :: Article Creator

I Argued With My Sister After Being Bitten By Her Neighbor's Dog

By Truong Vu  &nbspDecember 29, 202303:26 pm PT I asked my older sister to talk to the neighbors to see how they would react, but she did not do it.

I went to the Central Highlands province of Gia Lai for my brother-in-law's funeral a month ago and got bitten by a dog belonging to my sister's neighbors. After it bit me, that dog also bit other people and dogs, leading its owner to euthanize it.When I informed my sister's neighbors about their dog biting me, they dismissed it, saying, "It's just a puppy and can't bite anyone."

I returned to my place after the funeral and had to get five rabies vaccinations and a wound healing serum shot. I developed a fever after the vaccination, and the doctor said there was a high chance the dog that bit me had rabies.I was also told that receiving vaccinations three days after being bitten, as I did, was too late.

I asked my older sister to inform her neighbors about my vaccinations to gauge their reaction. Even my other sisters said she should talk to them. But she said she could not do it. She said it was my bad fortune, and she could not take care of everyone that went to her husband's funeral.

She eventually sent me VND5 million (US$206) reluctantly, saying, "Take this. I won't even dare call you next time my family has an issue."

I explained to her that what I needed was the dog's owners taking responsibility instead of her money, and that I could not confront them aggressively because they are her neighbors, so I had to ask her to tell them that I was frustrated with their manners.

However, my sister and I have not talked to each other since then.

What should I do?


Dr. Bonnie Franklin: Rabies Risk Is Real, But Here's What's Being Done About It

All mammals, including humans, can be infected with the rabies virus.

In California, bats and skunks are the animals that most often get rabies, but rabies is sometimes found in other wild animals, such as foxes and raccoons.

Dogs and cats can also get rabies, but this is not as common as in wildlife because most of our cats and dogs are vaccinated against rabies.

Birds, reptiles, amphibians and fish cannot get rabies

In the United States, cats are two times more likely to contract rabies than dogs or cattle.   Bats, skunks, raccoons, coyotes and foxes are the common carriers of rabies in wildlife.

Each year in California, rabies is found in about 200 mostly wild animals. Rabies infects very few humans in California, or the United States for that matter.

Since 1980, rabies has been reported in 15 people in California. There have been no reported cases of rabies in our domestic animals or wildlife in Santa Barbara County in 2023.

Rabies Symptoms
  • A wild animal that seems unusually tame or isn't afraid to approach people
  • An animal out during the day that is usually active only at night, such as a skunk, fox or bat
  • A pet that has trouble walking, eating or drinking, or has a change in personality or how it acts
  • A normally calm animal that acts in an agitated or aggressive manner
  • A bat that can't fly or has been caught by a dog or cat
  • Bite Protection, for Yourself and Pets
  • Leave all wild animals alone. Do not approach, touch or try to feed any animals that you don't know.
  • Never adopt or bring wild animals into your home. Contact a wildlife rehabilitation facility if you are concerned that a wild animal needs care.
  • Remove food that attracts wild animals by keeping garbage in closed, secure containers, and don't leave pet food outside overnight.
  • Seal holes or gaps in your home where bats and other animals could enter.
  • Take extra care to avoid animals when traveling abroad, especially dogs in developing countries, as rabies in dogs is common in some countries.
  • Always ask permission before you approach or try to pet another person's dog that you don't know.
  • Keep pet cats indoors as much as possible. Indoor cats are less likely to have contact with wildlife that might have rabies.
  • If you take your pets off your property, keep them on a leash and under your control at all times.
  • Every year, the Agriculture Department drops millions of oral rabies vaccines across 14 states, mostly along the Eastern Seaboard. Oral rabies vaccination has been in use in the United States since 1990, in Canada since 1985, and in Europe since 1980.

    Currently, there are 16 states distributing oral vaccines for raccoons in the United States. Texas distributes baits for gray foxes and coyotes.

    The oral rabies vaccines are distributed by airplane. In suburban and urban areas, they'll arrive by helicopter or vehicle to be deposited by hand in designated bait stations, such as garbage cans and dumpsters.

    These rabies vaccines are edible pellets covered in fishmeal and sweet flavors to attract raccoons, foxes, coyotes and skunks. When an animal bites the pellet, the rabies vaccine packet opens into the animal's mouth and it is vaccinated.

    The program covers tens of thousands of square miles. 

    The oral vaccine, has been found to be safe in over 60 animal species. This includes domestic dogs and cats. Dogs that eat large number of the vaccines may have stomach ache, but they won't have any long-term health consequences, according to the USDA.

    Rabies is one of the deadliest diseases on the planet. Once clinical signs appear, the disease is almost always fatal.

    It is a vaccine-preventable viral disease that occurs in more than 150 countries and territories. It causes 60,000 deaths every year, mainly in Asia, India and Africa — with 40% of the deaths occurring in children under age 15.

    More than 99% of the cases are contracted from street dogs in countries where dog vaccination programs are not sufficiently developed to stop the spread of the virus. Rabies can be prevented through vaccination of dogs and prevention of dog bites, according to the World Health Organization.

    Since the disease is preventable in Africa and Asia when 70% of dogs are vaccinated regularly, the global focus needs to be on decreasing the cost of vaccinating dogs and increasing access.

    Sign Up for the A.M. Report

    Keep up with Noozhawk's daily news coverage, delivered at 4:15 a.M. Right to your inbox.

    This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

    The College of Veterinary Medicine at Washington State University runs rabies vaccination programs currently in Kenya and Tanzania. They focus on scientific research and in-country program development to enable more communities to be reached with vaccination campaigns in the most cost-effective manner. Vaccines are transported to remote villages even by drones.

    The WSU Paul G. Allen School for Global Health is working with international partners to eliminate rabies as a cause of human suffering and death by 2030 as part of the "Zero by 30" campaign launched by the World Health Organization, the World Organization for Animal Health, and the Food and Agriculture Organization.


    Nuggets' Aaron Gordon Defends Dog After Bite, Getting 21 Stitches: 'He's A Good Boy'

    Jamie Schwaberow/Getty Images

    Aaron Gordon is still loyal to his dog even after a scary incident that resulted in stitches and a trip to the hospital.

    The Denver Nuggets power forward has missed the past two games due to injuries from a dog bite on Christmas. Gordon's dog, a Rottweiler that he adopted four years ago, bit him and forced Gordon to get 21 stitches — mostly in his right hand. He also sustained scarring near his lip.

    Per the Denver Post's Bennett Durando, Gordon still has nothing but love for his dog.

    "He's a good boy. He's a good dog," Gordon said. "… Very attached. Very sweet. Very strong. Great dog."

    Gordon took responsibility for the incident, and he believes his dog didn't mean any harm with the bite. After dropping 16 points in a Christmas Day win over the Golden State Warriors, he said he might have enjoyed too much eggnog at home and got his dog riled up, resulting in the bite.

    "I guess it's a little bit embarrassing, but not too embarrassing to where I can't talk about it," Gordon said. "I don't drink a lot during the season. I probably had a little bit too much eggnog. I was kind of roughhousing with my dog, and I think my dog got a little excited and just basically chomped down. Gave me a bite. And I was basically wrestling him off of me, and then he bit my hand.

    "For lack of better words, I was (messing) around with my dog, and when you (mess) around, you find out."

    Following the bite, Gordon went to the hospital to get the wound stitched up. The result of the stitches was Gordon missing the next two games. Now a few days removed from the incident, Gordon said he feels ready to play in the Nuggets' matchup with the Charlotte Hornets on Monday. Gordon also mentioned that he has played with stitches in his hand before.

    While it was a scary incident, Gordon said he thought the memes about the incident on social media were funny and that he appreciates all the well-wishes.






    Comments

    Popular posts from this blog

    The Best Flea Treatments for Cats and Dogs

    Is Citronella Safe for Dogs? A Veterinarian Provides Guidance